Codes, names and different product labels can be confusing. Each manufacturer designates a naming system for their products, which most often includes a name and code. These are commonly used to place orders, but are not obligatory. Codes are often miswritten, which can lead to mistaken or invalid orders and difficult communication about the product itself (if it does not have a name).
Instead of tedious numbers, we have opted for a simple method to help customers navigate our selection. Since front door handles are most often descried by their technical characteristics (e.g. a round handle with a square mount and LEDs), our front door handle markings follow the same principle.
Griffing’s method of naming basic front door handles is as follows:
- First comes the shape of the tube or the handle style (GOK – round, GKV – square, GPR – rectangular, GKA – diamond),
- Followed by the type of mount and its angle (ON90 – 90° round mound, KN45 – 45° square mount etc.),
- And measurements:
- length of the handle in mm (L600, L800, L1000 etc.),
- distance between the fasteners of the handle mount (A).
- Followed by a fastener marking (VRA, VRU, VRSS etc.) in case for optional fasteners; this marking is not added for universal fasteners.
The following codes are added to customised front door handles with different additions:
- For special additions, individual abbreviations (LED, ekey, Navkom etc.) are transcribed from the configurator.
- Finally, the desired surface treatment (satinated for base models) is listed, these can be polished (SP), powder coated in black (SB), or powder coated in a different colour from the RAL scale (SRAL); codes are transcribed from the configurator.
The process of creating the code and its data order is best demonstrated for each individual line of front door handles. The codes are entered into the configurator in a set order and should be transcribed from the configurator in the same order.
1. Economy Line front door handle configurator
Economy Line front door handles are of the highest possible quality for the most affordable price. Since it is a base door handle model, its configuration is simple. The configurator lists the technical characteristics in order, and these are used to create the final code. It is created by opening the configurator and following the order when transcribing the codes of different parts:
- STYLE: Economy Line front door handle has a round tube (EOK – Economy round).
- MOUNTS: This tube can be combined with one of three types of mounts: ON90 (90° round mount), ON90PRA (90° round mount with a premium rosette) and ON45 (45° round mount).
- MEASUREMENTS: There are eight standard measurements available (600 mm to 2000 mm).
- FASTENERS: Then one of the fasteners based on the material is chosen. For an ALU panel, only VRA, VRU, VRO, VRUS and VRSS fasteners are possible. The configurator legend below the fasteners shows which mount is most suitable for a specific material.
The code of an Economy Line front front door handle per our latest catalogue would look like this: EOK-ON90PRA-L800-VRA. This means an Economy Line round handle with a 90° round mount, a premium rosette, a handle length of 800 mm and a VRA fastener.
Important: codes are not made up, they are transcribed exactly from the configurator.
2. Prime Line front door handle configurator
Prime Line handles for front doors are known for their wide style selection, which includes eight main groups, each with its own configurator. Despite the eight different styles, the configuration is simple. As in the case of the Economy Line, which shows the technical characteristics used to create the final code. It is created by opening the configurator and following the order when transcribing the codes of different parts.
- STYLE: Square shape.
- MOUNTS: Seven types of mounts can be used with the Prime Line Bold. For a vertical mount, the possible choices are KN90 (90° square mount), ON90 (90° round mount), ON90PRA (90° round mount with a premium rosette), and CPO90 (90° mount, which supports a fingerprint scanner CPO and LED lights); and the possible choices for an angular mounts are KN45, CPO45D (45° right mount, which supports a fingerprint scanner and LED lights), and CPO45L (45° left mount, which supports a fingerprint scanner and LED lights).
- MEASUREMENTS: Eight standard measurements are available (600 mm to 2000 mm), but customised measurements are also possible.
- FASTENERS: Then one of the fasteners based on the material is chosen. Only VRU, VRO, VPU and VPO fasteners are possible with a PVC panels. The configurator legend below the fasteners shows, which fastener is most suitable for a specific material. In case of two-sided fasteners (VRO, VPO), a suitable fastener length based on the thickness of the door panel (40 / 60 / 80 / 100 mm) must also be chosen.
- FINGERPRINT SCANNER CPO: To add a fingerprint scanner, the position of the scanner and the name of the manufacturer (ekey, Navkom or other manufacturer ) must be included in the code. The scanner can be mounted on the front side (CF) or back side (CB).
- LIGHTING: To add an LED strip, the abbreviation ‘LED’ must be added.
- FINISHES: An aesthetic finish (Z03) can be added at the top or the bottom of the handle.
- SURFACE: The universal standard treatment is matte; special codes must be added to choose a polished finish (SP), powder coating in black (SB) or powder coating in other RAL colours (SRAL).
The code of a Prime Line Bold front door handle per our latest catalogue would look like this: GKV-CPO90-L2000-VRO-CF-EKEY-LED-SRAL5015, which means a square handle with a 90° mount with a fingerprint scanner CPO, a handle length of 2000 mm, a VRO fastener, an ekey fingerprint scanner on the front side, LEDs and powder coated surface treatment in RAL colour 5015.
If the door handle is without additions, the code can be very simple. For example: GKV-KN90-L1800-VRU stands for a square handle with a square 90° mount, a handle length of 1800 mm and a VRU fastener.
Important: If no special fastener is listed in the order or the front door handle code, the door handle is fitted with a universal Griffing fastener.
3. Vision Line front door handle configurator
Vision Line handles for front doors are premium class door handles and stand out because of their decorative inserts. The door handles come in two major styles, so they are split into two classes (C and S) and the configurator lists their technical characteristics in order. The final code is created by opening the configurator and following the order when transcribing the codes of different parts:
- STYLE: Two styles are available, C class and S class. The difference between the two is in their endings: C class comes with open endings, whereas the S class has rounded endings. When a style is chosen, a decorative insert is added. Different materials and colours are available:
- WOAK: Wood, oak
- WWAL: Wood, walnut
- AB: Aluminium, black
- ARAL: Aluminium and RAL colour number
- GB: Glass, black
- GRAL: Glass and RAL colour number
- GP: Glass with a digital custom print
- N: Empty or your custom material
- MOUNTS: Vision Line mounts can be combined with three different mounts: KN90 (90° square mount), CPO90 (90° mount which supports a fingerprint scanner and LED lights), and EX90 (90° executive mount, which supports LED lights).
- MEASUREMENTS: Only standard measurements are available. The number of mounts depends on the length of the door handle (handles that are longer than 1 m, always have three mounts and 2200 mm handles have four mounts).
- FASTENERS: Then one of the fasteners based on the material of the door panel is chosen. Only VRUS, VRSS, VRMS and VROS fasteners are possible with glass door panels. The configurator legend below the fasteners shows, which fastener is most suitable for a specific material. In case of two-sided fasteners, a suitable fastener length must be chosen based on the thickness of the door panel (40 / 60 / 80 / 100 mm).
- FINGERPRINT SCANNER: If a door handle model with a fingerprint scanner is chosen, the name of the manufacturer must be added (ekey, Navkom or other manufacturer).
- LIGHTING: To fit the door handle with LED strips, the abbreviation ‘LED’ must be added.
The code of a Prime Line Bold frot door handle per our latest catalogue would look like this: VSWAL-CPO90-L1250-VRA-NAVKOM-LED which stands for a Vision Line door handle with rounded endings (S class), walnut insert, 90° mount with a fingerprint scanner CPO and LED lights, a handle length of 1250 mm, a VRA fastener a Navkom fingerprint scanner and LEDs.
If the Vision Line door handle does not include any additions, the code would look like this: VCAB-KN90-L1150-VRU, which means a Vision Line door handle with open endings (C class), a black aluminium insert, a 90° square mount, a handle length of 1150 mm and a VRU fastener.
The website configurator is under construction. In the meantime, you can use the configurator from the catalogue or the website under door handles. Because it is simply designed, the customer is guided from the handle style to additions, showing the codes, which the customer transcribes in the correct order. You can thus save time while coordinating your order and our team will know exactly which handle to produce.